Some people feel comfortable wearing glasses and contact lenses. Others, however, find them to cause interruptions in their active lifestyles.
Fortunately, vision-correction surgery can fix all of that, and laser eye surgery has come a long way in recent years. Let’s talk about the most popular types of eye surgery to correct patients’ vision, and where you can go in Coral Gables to achieve perfect vision.
Types of Eye Surgery that Can Give You Perfect Vision
You can have 20/20 vision with glasses or contact lenses, but many people would prefer not to hassle with these corrective vision tools. If you want to take charge of your vision without the need to wear glasses or contacts, there are several distinct types of corrective eye surgeries to consider.
Some types of eye surgery are performed to reshape the cornea so that light passing through it can focus on the retina, while other eye surgeries replace the lens of the eye. The most popular types of eye surgery include the following:
- LASIK (laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis) – LASIK surgery reshapes your underlying corneal tissue so that it focuses light into your eye and reaches the retina. It is the ideal procedure for those who are nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism, which is an imperfection in the eye’s curvature that results in blurred or distorted images.
- PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) – Unlike LASIK, this procedure is performed to reshape the outer surface of the cornea, as opposed to the tissue underneath the cornea. PRK can treat farsightedness, nearsightedness, or astigmatism.
- RLE (refractive lens exchange) – Also known as clear lens extraction (CLE) or refractive lens replacement (RLR), this surgical procedure can be performed to correct cataracts, severe nearsightedness, farsightedness, thin corneas, dry eyes, and other minor eye problems. Sometimes combined with LASIK or a similar procedure, RLE involves your eye surgeon removing the natural lens of your eye and replacing the lens with a silicone lens.
Usually, the procedure takes just a few minutes to perform, the recovery period is relatively quick, and most patients can see clearly within 24 hours or so. You should then be able to see without glasses.
Recovery and Possible Side Effects of Eye Surgery
As is the case with all types of surgical procedures, there can be side effects. In the case of corrective surgery for vision, this can include:
- Temporary decrease in tear production
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Seeing glare and halos around bright lights
- Temporary double vision
To achieve the best results from your eye surgery, you should carefully follow your eye surgeon’s recovery instructions. Contact the doctor immediately if you have any questions or concerns.
Eye Surgery to Get Rid of Glasses in Miami, Florida
At The Laser Center of Coral Gables in Miami, our eye doctors specialize in refractive eye surgery that can help to drastically improve your vision – and your quality of life. Let us help you improve your vision without needing cumbersome glasses or contacts.
To learn more about laser eye surgery and to find out whether you’re a viable candidate, call our Miami office today at (305) 461-0003. We look forward to helping you see everything clearly again!